Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bloomin' flowers!




Some of the flowers we have blooming around our place right now. The one directly above is from my folks the day they left to go back home. It's just stunning with it's bright red lanterns and the birds love to hide in it as they're approaching the birdbath. And then of course, I couldn't go past the hibiscus bloom in all it's radiant glory without just basking in it for a while. And lastly, the orchids are just blowing me away with their long lasting quite exquisite blooms...

3 comments:

Susan Turney said...

Hi Mel!
I have orchids too! I have one that is rarely out of spike or bloom...the rest bloom annually....and last forever. I wish people would start to understand how easy they are!

Kathi said...

ooo mel, those are so beautiful! What is the tree that has the hanging lantern like blooms? I made a hibiscus cane using an orange/peach one like you have!

Mel said...

Hi Susan, so nice to know you're a fellow orchid lover. I love them, always have. I particularly love the australian orchids but they grow best in the wild, very few people have ever had success with our native orchids...but the Phalaenopsis (pictured) and the Cymbidium which I have a couple of, do wonderfully well in this semi tropical climate. I might well develop an(other) obsession!
And Kathi, I've seen your gorgeous hibiscus cane and when this one opened I thought of you! Those gorgeous red lanterns are called Brazillian Bell-Flowers, Abutilon Megapotamicum...and no, I didn't remember the name, was never one for remembering latin!... I just grabbed the tag!